Is your Amazon EC2 having the similar problem below?
fsck died with exit status 8
failed (code 8).
*File system check failed.
A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is writable.
Please repair the file system manually.
*A maintenance shell will now be started.
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and resume system boot.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):
Unfortunately there is no direct console for you to input your root password and perform the fix.
However, there is a possible way to repair this by yourself, but only for those who are using EBS. Here are the steps:
- Shut down the instance that has the corrupted EBS attached.
- Detach EBS volume from the instance.
- Attach the EBS to an existing running instance. If you do not have any other instance running, just create a micro instance and make sure it's running before you attach the volume.
Note: Since we use Amazon Linux, it should be attached as a secondary drive: /dev/sda2
- Log into the existing/newly created instance via SSH.
- Run the command
If you could see the corrupted EBS is being repaired, means you are doing it correctly.
- Once it has finish repairing, detach the EBS and attach it back to your previous instance.
- Start up your previous instance and it should be able to run just fine now.
If you are still having an issue on it, do drop it here in the comment box below and see how we can help you further with it :)